Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit, brave ideas, creativity, grit, & determination?
Are you a self-starter interested in improving user experience?
Are you passionate about changing the face of healthcare & impacting the lives of others all over the globe?
Then we want YOU!
At UPMC Enterprises, we build companies by partnering with existing health care technology companies to accelerate their growth (acceleration) or by developing new products (de novo). Our Product Management teams are central to this development, and as a Design Strategy Summer Associate, students must be comfortable in a dynamic role where they are able to bridge cross-functional disciplines and showcase a broad range of skillsets based in business, technology, and design.
As a UPMC Enterprises Summer Associate, you will have an opportunity to participate in a highly competitive, full time, 8-12 week paid summer internship program with an organization that’s committed to finding solutions to the complicated challenges facing health care providers and their patients. Our work is about using creativity to tackle exciting projects that become life-changing products.
- Demonstrates the value of design strategy and human-centered design (HCD)
- Uses ethnographic design research methods to develop qualitative insights that impact projects, products, and strategy.
- Conducts primary and secondary research to discover unknowns and to explore trends, perspectives, and applications in the field (stakeholder interviews, contextual inquiry/ ethnographic observation, etc.)
- Engaging UPMC stakeholders and Subject Matter Experts to define unmet needs and value opportunity
- Able to facilitate and/or develop stakeholder sessions, user groups and participatory design sessions to capture ideas, feedback and requirements.
- Map findings of a new market area or topic including their historical and competitive landscape to develop a shared understanding of the territory, and to relate those findings back to UPMCs potential differentiation and/or synergies
- Conducts market research and produces deliverables around market trends, dynamics, and competitive landscape
- Develops frameworks for opportunity evaluation within market and exploring strategy across various functional departments; including engineering, design, marketing, and finance teams
- Generating hypothesis on how UPMC should approach a market from an internal and external perspective
- Identifying and evaluating target inbound opportunities for investment
- Communicates activities, statues, issues, and accomplishments to senior leadership and partners
As an organization dedicated to Life Changing Medicine, UPMC has defined a bold mission: to shape the future of health care through innovation. At UPMC Enterprises, we are at the forefront of this innovation. UPMC Enterprises is the innovation and commercialization arm of the organization, with a focus in translational science and technology solutions in the healthcare marketplace. Through this work, UPMC Enterprises hopes to revolutionize the way we approach patient care.
We’re looking for students who…
- Are passionate and determined to make a difference!
- Problem solvers! Someone who can approach a problem creatively while utilizing quantitative analysis and strategic thinking.
- Cares about the user experience and human-centered design and are eager to find ways to improve our product for all users.
- Believes in our Core Values. They are not just written on the walls. We demonstrate our commitment to these values daily.
- Have emerging leadership abilities, creative and entrepreneurial spirit, and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Care about the work they do, the people we work with, and the patients we work for.
- Pride themselves on their integrity. It’s not just about the work we do, but how we do it.
- Master of Design, Master of Arts, Masters in Product Design, Master of Business Administration, Master of Public Administration, or Master of Public Health 1st year students with December 2022 – May 2023 anticipated graduation date (Note: PhD or MD preferred for Translational Sciences Product Management Summer Associate)
Prior experience in product management, healthcare management, or software engineering or design a plus
Availability to participate in the Summer Associate Program full time, from June to August 2022 for approximately 8-12 weeks with minimal absence
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran