The Senior Analyst at UPMC Enterprises Translational Science supports management in acceleration. Analysts use their background and experience to evaluate scientific projects, and assess markets, industries, businesses, and products. They apply their skills to help prioritize and select portfolio companies and potential external investments and to support them from early-stage discovery through investment case and spin-out/investment.
- Performs all above in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
- Routinely interacts with and manages internal and external stakeholders.
- Maps competitive landscape of products and players.
- Independently oversees major aspects of projects with oversight from manager/director/VP:Administrative support of internal investments (e.g. through financial planning, budget management, shared services coordination, competitive intelligence)Market analyticsBusiness analyticsFinancial analysis (revenue forecast, budgeting, valuation)
- Supports management in primary and secondary market research, including competitive analysis, etc.
- Continuously improves business intelligence to understand market forces, market size, addressable market, profit drivers, differentiators needed to create winning solutions.
- Owns critical internal translational science strategic or operational initiatives (e.g. managing pipeline process, lead BOLD team, etc.).
- Conducts in-depth market, industry, company and business analyses.
- Evaluates scientific project proposals for research merit and commercial opportunity.
- Supports development of other team members by coaching business development skills.
- Maintains project planning documents, prepares materials, and writes and distributes high level workflow documents.
- Builds relationships with principal investigators and other relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned (including initiatives to improve internal work flows and best practices).
- B.S. degree required, life sciences field preferred
- MS or PhD preferred
- Generally has up to 3 years relevant professional experience or formal training in venture capital, business development, strategy, marketing or finance
- Familiarity with business issues, or the ability to quickly learn
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong technical abilities
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran