Sorry, we’re not accepting applications for this job right now. But don’t go yet! Explore our site
to find more opportunities to join us in transforming the future of health care.
The Machine Learning team at UPMC Enterprises collaborate in cross-disciplinary teams to rapidly solve impactful problems in healthcare with our deep knowledge of modern machine learning technologies and innovative data analytics. We work directly with our colleagues in product and engineering, our stakeholders across UPMC payor and provider sides of healthcare, and key healthcare start-ups to better patient lives.
Healthcare is a rich, highly specialized domain, with varied data modalities and no shortage of challenging problems. The ML team uses techniques from a wide range of fields, including natural language processing over clinical notes, computer vision for medical images, and working with timeseries data such as a history of lab test results. Future possible projects may include speech data of medical conversations or genomics data. We work with both data-at-scale and data deficient settings.
The Machine Learning Engineer is a trusted independent contributor with significant ownership over technical decisions and is responsible for delivering Machine Learning solutions in projects.
Open to full-time remote.
- Work with massive quantities of real-world healthcare data while following organizational processes around HIPAA compliance to safeguard private patient information.
- Use deep expertise in Machine Learning to help evaluate new healthcare technology.
- Be expected to stay current with the state of the art in Machine Learning research.
- Own and drive the lifecycle of developing new Machine Learning technology with a high degree of autonomy.
- Collaborate in an interdisciplinary and cross-functional project team.
- Work with product managers and stakeholders to define the problem and its requirements.
- Perform data analysis and preprocessing in massive quantities of real-world healthcare data.
- Research state-of-the-art methods, develop hypotheses, implement models, and develop necessary tooling required for the project.
- Evaluate approaches with appropriate metrics, communicate results to stakeholders for feedback, and incorporate feedback in tight iterative loops while meeting project deadlines.
- Collaborate with engineering to productionize models.
- Exercise excellent oral and written communication skills conveying new ideas to our team and in touchpoints with product managers, healthcare experts, and our partners in healthcare start-ups.
- Demonstrate high initiative and are self-driven to excellence.
- Embody a growth-mindset and are excited to receive feedback and continuously learn to deepen their understanding of ML and improve interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate deep understanding in at least one subfield of ML and contribute knowledge to other team members.
- Rapidly come up to speed with new technology and new fields of ML to evaluate technology and solve problems.
- Operate comfortably with limited supervision, owning projects, project deadlines, and communicating roadblocks.
- Clearly communicate progress and activities to stakeholders and incorporate feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computational biology, applied math, or other similar quantitative field
- Prefer MS or PhD in machine learning related fields
- Deep knowledge in at least one field of ML through graduate degrees, or through equivalent professional experience
- Proficient in software development and understanding of coding best practices, including familiarity with code reviewing, version control systems, good code hygiene, documentation etc.
- Good written and oral communication skills in communicating to a mixed technical and non-technical audience
- Experienced in working within a team to successfully deliver an ML solution
- Experience in solving problems in healthcare or biomedical settings
- Experience in working with varied data modalities, including time series, images, natural language text, genomics, speech, etc.
- Cloud-based development experience
- Experience in working with problems in both data-deficient and large-scale data settings
- Experience in working within cross-disciplinary and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated track record of developing novel, state of the art ML methods through peer-reviewed publications or patent filings
- 2+ years of relevant experience in ML and software development
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran