The Sr. Manager is responsible for and accountable to plan, lead, assign, supervise and control activities related to Cloud engineering projects and daily operations. The Sr. Manager is also responsible for Cloud Security Operations (SecOPS) and collaboration with UPMC Information Security. The Sr. Manager will manage a team of Cloud engineers, mentor technical staff in Cloud engineering processes, communicate with end-users, software development teams, and other departments interacting with the Cloud engineering team, and report progress of all implementation and operational activities up to the senior management. The Sr Manager may also manage multiple managers and their teams. The Sr. Manager will be directly involved in the implementation and operation of Cloud infrastructure environments to meet our customers' needs. This position requires a high degree of experienced technical attributes, analytical capabilities, ability to perform and supervise tasks such as: defining project plans, implementing and/or maintaining Cloud environments, and providing services and thought leadership to meet client and business needs within budget and targeted deadlines.
- Maintain current industry knowledge and trends, keep abreast of new technologies, attend educational events and participates in committee work as appropriate.
- Takes ownership and delivery responsibility for special projects or initiatives.
- Responsible to ensure that Cloud engineering work satisfies business requirements, complies with approved department procedures and standards, and meets our quality, security and compliance objectives. This includes ensuring that environment implementations are well documented and communicated.
- Review and evaluate quality of work by junior managers. In addition to engineering standards and rigor, this would include people management
- Review and evaluate quality of work performed by Cloud engineering staff. Prioritize, assign, and monitor work progress relative to schedule plans. Adjust levels of work effort and/or schedule expectations to ensure integrity of the implementation and operation plans.
- Responsible for the tools used to manage the day-to-day operations of the Cloud team. (E.g. Jira Service Desk).
- Conduct research on cloud environment issues and attend meetings to propose technical solutions. Serves as an escalation point for all technical issues experienced by project teams.
- Manage the 24x7on-call team that responds to and appropriately escalates security and compliance incidents and issues.
- Innovate with cloud architecture and product teams to deliver infrastructure as code using DevOps tools and methodologies.
- Build team for monitoring and incident response, including automated alert handling and integration with tracking and ticketing tools.
- Lead 24x7x365 cloud infrastructure team providing platform, network, and monitoring services supporting SaaS and hosted customers, ensuring 99.99% uptime.
- Document policies and procedures related to daily Cloud operations and Cloud security operations.
- Work with management and senior staff members to develop and manage an implementation and operations plan for project(s). Manager will be expected to create deliverables to support the project proposal process and roadmap process.
- Create and develop a team environment, including building collaborative relationships and participating cross-functional coalitions to ensure knowledge is shared across all teams at UPMC Enterprises.
- Maintain cohesiveness and collaboration between security and Cloud operations teams. In collaboration with UPMC ISG, create and maintain a set of best practices and operational plans to ensure the security of the UPMC Enterprises Cloud environment.
- When asked, manage multiple teams, including a team with a more junior manager leading the day to day operations and hold them accountable for performance
- Manage and mentor a team of Cloud engineers. Responsible for developing and executing Cloud Infrastructure implementation plans, Cloud operations plans, Cloud security operations plans and manage schedules and resource allocation for the team.
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or management, or equivalent experience is required.
- An advanced degree in related field is a plus
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams using AWS or comparable cloud provider
- 6-8 years of experience leading a 24x7 operations organization deploying and operating complex cloud infrastructure at scale
- Must have AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional or AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional certification
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies, DevOps tooling, and infrastructure as code
- Ability to manage managers on both people and project aspects, including new managers
- Ability to manage at a high level and delegate direct team management to others
- Experience and working knowledge of modern systems monitoring and alerting infrastructures, capacity planning processes, configuration management tools, automation tools and other aspects of maintaining, managing, and growing a high scale cloud infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead teams of junior and senior professionals who are highly engaged and satisfied
- Proven ability to perform in a collaborative, team-oriented, global environment with a strong customer orientation (internal and external).
- Demonstrated track record of success in engineering and management roles in high performance, entrepreneurial organizations
- Familiarity with ITIL.
- Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels within the organization
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran