This position will provide input into the design and implementation of UPMC Enterprises systems through the analysis and documenting of Clinical, Financial and other systems data. The informatics professional will analyze and assess the data needs of projects and recommend the appropriate data and sources to fill those needs. Other duties include documentation, mapping, modeling of these proposals. Additionally, the Data Engineer can be put into service to get representative data samples or even to participate in the design and development of new fetch mechanisms (such as Mirth) as the project requires. Finally, this position will have numerous external interfaces, to the development team as an SME, to Executive Management on escalation and status, to the operational owners of the data for research purposes.
- As a project needs access to data to solve an issue, the data engineer will be responsible to plan and execute the necessary steps to propose a solution to get the appropriate data.
- As this position feeds the scrum process for the engineering teams, delivery of the work in a timely manner and at a high quality is paramount. Estimation of work effort and drive to complete on time is necessary.
- Ability to work cooperatively and constructively with many other teams and roles. Be a problem solver.
- Act as a data SME for common healthcare systems. Understand the data, its usage and meaning.
- This position is ultimately responsible to address the organization's need for accurate, timely and thoughtful data analysis work using the resources within the organization.
- Accept and sign off on Junior members work if required.
- Participation in the Informatics group Kanban process, with appropriate attention paid to grooming, prioritization, definition of ready, definition of done.
- Participate in implementation as needed. Can be as an advisor, or in some cases SQL or engineering work may be required (Mirth)
- Work with Engineering on best implementation and use of the data to solve a business problem.
- Work independently on user stories, can own and work on story grooming and execution when needed.
- Own an area of expertise within the common healthcare systems. Act as an SME within the team and the go-to person with questions in area of expertise.
- The data engineer is responsible document the data and sources in a way that can be executed on by an engineering group.
- Assist in the education and mentoring of new members of the team, primarily in process and procedure.
- Can sort out definition and execute on increasingly complex user stories or groups of like user stories.
- Can wholly own interaction with a team or project, act as the Data Engineering group's point of contact where needed.
-Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or healthcare related field and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
-Must have knowledge of regulatory requirements, and healthcare domain experience. Experience with HL7, CDA, and/or FHIR strongly preferred.
-Experience working with EMRs and clinical workflows strongly preferred.
-Relational data base design and development.
-SQL programming fundamentals.
-Knowledge of Health Care Finance and Operations is desirable.
-Prior experience with EPIC, CERNER, Imaging or healthcare financial data a must.
-Scripting, coding or other engineering experience a plus.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran