Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit, brave ideas, excited about making a difference and leading edge technologies?
Are you a self-starter interested in improving user experience & SDLC best practices?
Are you passionate about changing the face of healthcare & impacting the lives of others all over the globe?
Then we want YOU!
At UPMC Enterprises, we build companies by partnering with existing health care technology companies to accelerate their growth (acceleration) or by developing new products (de novo). Our Software Engineering teams are central to this development, and as a SWE, students must be comfortable in a dynamic role where they are able to build solutions across cross-functional disciplines while balancing business, technical, and design constraints to help push new features to production and improve patient lives.
• Be customer focused at all times as a core value.
• Collaborate within a multi-disciplined team including software engineers, test engineers, product managers, program managers and designers.
• Develop deep understanding of business problem, value and builds a solution to meet the need.
• Maintain a high bar on quality and consider all edge cases. All work is intended to be deployed to production to the highest quality guarantees.
• Write and test solutions to the highest industry best practices using industry leading tools, development best practices and CI/CD pipelines.
• Debug and apply critical thinking to complex distributed system and data design problems.
• Collaborate on the team as a true team member with a valued voice and opinion.
• Engage with subject matter experts, self-learn and build relationships with other teams to facilitate product delivery.
• Communicate progress, impediments and problems to team members.
• Be an active participant in the day to day development and operation of software supporting in excess of $50M/year, 8M patients and a data set covering over 1Bn records.
• See, understand, participate and improve the team dynamic and product development lifecyle at UPMC Enterprises.
As an organization dedicated to Life Changing Medicine, UPMC has defined a bold mission: to shape the future of health care through innovation. At UPMC Enterprises, we are at the forefront of this innovation. UPMC Enterprises is the innovation and commercialization arm of the organization, with a focus in translational science and technology solutions in the healthcare marketplace. Through this work, UPMC Enterprises hopes to revolutionize the way we approach patient care.
As a UPMC Enterprises Summer Associate, you will have an opportunity to participate in a highly competitive, full time, 10-week paid summer internship with an organization that’s committed to finding solutions to the complicated challenges facing health care providers and their patients. Our work is about using creativity to tackle exciting projects that become life-changing products.
We’re looking for students who…
• Are passionate and determined to make a difference!
• Problem solvers! Someone who can approach a problem creatively while utilizing quantitative analysis and strategic thinking.
• Cares about the user experience, and are eager to find ways to improve our product for all users.
• Believes in our Core Values. They are not just written on the walls. We demonstrate our commitment to these values daily.
• Have emerging leadership abilities, entrepreneurial spirit, and thrive in a collaborative environment.
• Care about the work they do, the people we work with, and the patients we work for.
• Pride themselves on their integrity. It’s not just about the work we do, but how we do it.
• Computer Science, Data Analytics, Information Systems Management, Information Technology, or related field students with December 2021 – May 2022 anticipated graduation date
• Prior experience in software engineering or design a plus
• A cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 is strongly preferred, and preference will be given to candidates that have demonstrated leadership ability through their studies, employment, or extracurricular activities.
• Availability to participate as a Summer Associate full time, from June to August 2021 for approximately 10 weeks with minimal absence
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran