At UPMC Enterprises, we help create health care innovations that will impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways. MyUPMC team in UPMC Enterprises strives to use technology to empower consumers and enhance the digital relationship between a patient and their care teams. We are reinventing the MyUPMC digital experience, including the patient portal and mobile apps, to achieve these goals and to help patients to more easily manage care for themselves and their loved ones.
MyUPMC Product Owner/Manager bridges cross-functional disciplines, balancing business, technical and design constraints to bring products to market that will define the future of health care. They must feel comfortable working in a dynamic, sometimes ambiguous environments. They must leverage deep commercial expertise and critical thinking skills to distill the complexity inherent to health care's most confounding problems. They must also thoughtfully translate problems into solutions, that can take shape as actionable plans that can be released into the hands of consumers. They move quickly and with confidence, always building with an eye on the future. They must inspire teams to nurture creativity, and marry risk with reward, recognizing that they will be held accountable for the analysis, positioning, packaging and promotion of their product.
The Product Manager, as part of the MyUPMC product execution team, is known for their product management and product owner skills. They have expert-level skills when it comes to running a software product development lifecycle with everything from the discovery through release and support phases. They should adeptly manage technical constraints, business value and consumer needs to define their good, better and best options for the path forward. They should have the ability to be able to manage near-term value and long-term impact; always having a plan for the future but flexible as conditions change. They have an eye for optimization along the way always looking for ways to increase speed using data-driven metrics to measure and quantify performance and quality at all stages of the product execution process.
They manage the delivery of business value through prioritized features and enablers, working through the product roadmap and backlog to ensure that there are adequate and ready features in the backlog at all times.
In the product owner aspect of their role, the product manager gathers feature requests and requirements from stake holders, prioritizes the features, schedules releases and co-ordinates the development work into the sprints. They write unambiguous stories and acceptance criteria, prioritize the tasks and accept the work generated by the team within sprints. They act as members and leaders of their sprint team. They are seen as brand ambassadors of their products both internally and externally. They collaborate with user experience and design teams to build patient centric solutions. They gain high level understanding of technical architecture and are able to assist in development strategy and implementation. They analyze problems, document solutions, socialize the value propositions and present the recommendations to leadership team for approvals.
MyUPMC Product Owner/Manager is an influencer. Using their vast knowledge of product development and execution they are seen as a mentor and leader in the space. They need to adapt and earn the trust of multiple seasoned engineering teams and their product management colleagues. They are driven by data and deep understanding of their problem space, but able to drive decision-making in imperfect conditions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science or Technology field
• Advanced degree, MBA, MS or PhD preferred
• Proven expertise in EMR/EHR systems like EPIC, Cerner etc. Digital healthcare experience is a plus.
• 5+ years professional experience in the product management of successful B2B, B2B2C or B2C web and mobile software platforms, preferably in Healthcare setting
• Deep understanding of health care IT industry
• Demonstrated fluency with Agile/Lean and Scaled Agile frameworks, ideally including SAFe and LeSS
• Extensive experience in Agile Product Ownership role including backlog management/ownership of the product features translation and value to Scrum teams
• Flexibile mindset and “just want to get it done” attitude
• Proven success in measuring the value added to a product line with data driven metrics
• Track record of balancing technical, business, operational, consumer constraints
• Culture champion who leads by example
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Commercial software expertise with developing web and mobile products
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong technical abilities
• Shows working knowledge across multiple functional areas such as product management, engineering, design, and market research – but also exhibits depth in a relevant discipline. E.g., T-shaped individuals
• Discuss Agile trends with team and customers to justify benefits of process techniques
• Ability to measure a software development process and find optimizations
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
SAFe Agile Product Owner Product Manager, Pragmatic Marketing or equivalent
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran