Job Description and Purpose:
The Lab and Operations Manager provides administrative oversight and team leadership for the day to day maintenance and management of laboratory and office facilities at Novasenta Inc., a UPMC Enterprises funded biotech startup.
Novasenta’s mission is to transform medicine by enabling innovative drug discovery at the interface of disease, immunity, and metabolism. Novasenta uses a next generation drug discovery approach combining unique experimental and computational tools to explore the human tumor microenvironment and discover novel therapeutically relevant targets and drugs.
• Reports to the CEO and Director of Research Operations (dotted line).
• Completes assigned tasks with appropriate support from administrative assistant and research staff.
• Establishes, maintains and manages lab and office infrastructure as well as team resources that enable the team at Novasenta to achieve its core mission.
• Manages lab operations
o Establishes and maintains appropriate manuals, standard operating procedures (SOP) and research protocols to support the safe, effective, and uninterrupted operation of Novasenta’s state-of-the art lab facilities.
Works with scientific staff to maintain a comprehensive set of training documents and SOPs for all Novasenta procedures (including animal experiments).
Oversees the appropriate handling and documentation required for the storage, use, and disposal of hazardous substances used by Novasenta.
Plans, contracts, and manages suitable third-party solutions and services in support of Novasenta’s in-house rodent experimentation facility
As needed, establishes, and maintains appropriate laboratory accreditations and operating standards to conduct work under Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
o In close coordination with the Director of Research Operations implements and manages:
A purpose build lab information management system (LIMS).
A state-of-the-art inventory management, ordering and supply chain solution.
o Oversees procurement and inventory management with an eye towards ensuring uninterrupted lab operations and maximizing financial resource utilization.
o Establishes and manages strong relationships with relevant third-party product, service, and solutions vendors.
o In close coordination with research staff ensures maintenance of laboratory instrumentation in good working condition to support high quality research.
o As needed, supports the planning, procurement, and validation of new lab technologies.
• Manages office operations
o Oversees the planning, implementation, and maintenance of critical office solutions (e.g., IT, telecommunications/videoconference, document production and storage).
o Establishes best practices guidelines and procedures to enable safe and productive use of the office spaces by all Novasenta employees, visitors, and key stakeholders
o Plans and coordinates space use for dedicated and shared use spaces across the office and establishes suitable resource planning and booking solutions.
o Maintains a suitable stock of office supplies.
o Maintains a clean, hygienic, and well stocked break area for the team.
o Builds and maintains strong relationships with relevant third-party product, service, and solutions vendors.
• Under the guidance of the CEO oversees the implementation and oversight of outsourced general and administrative functions (e.g., HR and benefits, finance, and procurement, etc.)
• Oversees the timely processing and payment of all invoices related to lab and office purchases
• Coordinates with building management and appropriate third-party vendors the general maintenance, safe keeping, and cleaning of Novasenta facilities and adjacent common building use spaces.
• Completes other job duties as required.
What we offer for you:
• Mission-focused impact opportunity to drive support R&D that will change the trajectory of cancer care for patients.
• Highly competitive pay and benefits package.
• A dynamic, fast-paced startup culture combined with the stability of a well-established entity (UPMC).
• Work with experienced leaders in the drug discovery, immunotherapy, and cancer field.
• Required qualifications:
o Bachelor's degree or equivalent required, with >2 years of relevant working experience.
o Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint and Excel.
o Fundamental proficiencies in accounting and project management.
• The ideal candidate combines the above with some or all the following qualifications:
o Working experience in a commercial R&D or operations setting.
o MBA or other relevant post-graduate qualifications.
o Experience with laboratory information system (LIMS) is a plus.
o Experience working under GLP standards and ensuring BSL-2 safety compliance is a plus.
o Experience overseeing vivarium operations is a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Creative problem solver with proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative and interactive work environment.
• Excellent organizational and project oversight skills.
o Must be detail-oriented and well organized.
o Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities with ability to quickly learn new skills
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran