Drives cancer immunology research efforts, and designs and executes genomic screening and editing studies to support therapy development efforts of Novasenta, a UPMC Enterprises funded biotech startup focused on developing new cancer therapies targeting immunoregulatory mechanisms in the tumor microenvironment, reporting to the Program Coordinator.
• Works with and reports to the scientific founders and the Program Coordinator to investigate the most promising targets within the tumor microenvironment for the development of therapeutics
• Supports the Program Coordinator in genomic screening and editing efforts for target-related studies that include library-based genome-wide screening, arrayed CRISPR/shRNA screen, CRISPR/shRNA-based target assessment
• Supports the company leadership and the Program Coordinator in establishing genomic screening and editing platform
• Develops molecular and cell-based assays for testing gene editing tools and sgRNAs
• Independently propose, plan, design and perform in vivo tumor studies as well as ex vivo/in vitro assays to deeply characterize the company's target candidates
• Establish novel mechanistic insights addressing impact of novel targets on anti - tumor immune response and tumor cell growth
• Develop and perform complex cell-based functional assays using engineered and/or primary human and murine cells
• Actively participates in the scientific dialogue of the group and proactively collaborates with colleagues
• Must be willing to work flexible hours as necessary, and work beyond 40hrs is likely to be required
What we offer you:
•Competitive pay and benefits package.
•A fast-paced startup culture combined with the stability of a well-established entity (UPMC).
•Work with some of the leaders in the immunotherapy and cancer field.
•Opportunity to be part of a growing, dynamic and diverse team of highly skilled professionals discovering novel cancer therapies and making an impact on patient care.
• Ph.D. in immunology with 3+ years of post-doctoral experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting
• Must be skillful in the isolation and characterization of primary immune cells from murine tissues/tumors and human blood
• Excellent skill set for a variety of in vitro/ex vivo immune cell-based assays, including planning, execution, and analysis
• Experience in library-based genome-wide screens using CRISPR/Cas9-based gene editing is required
• Expertise in designing the screen strategy and analyzing the readout
• Good understanding in bioinformatic tools and experience working closely with bioinformatic expert
• Expertise in high throughput screening, cloning, and advanced molecular biology is strongly preferred
• Experience in flow cytometry and other analytical techniques (e.g. qPCR)
• Significant experience in immuno-oncology-related animal studies is required
• Experience in genomic screening using tumor models is highly desired
• Experience in working under GLP standards (writing research reports, SOPs, and IND sections) and ensuring safety compliance under BSL-2 is a plus
• Good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret, summarize, and present scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner to both technical and non-technical audiences
• Ability to deal with uncertainty and solve problems creatively and independently with solid judgement
• The ideal candidate has demonstrated success in highly dynamic research and/or biotech setting
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran