At UPMC Enterprises, we help create health care innovations that will impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways. The MyUPMC team strives to use technology to empower consumers and enhance the digital relationship between a patient and his/her care team. Our team is reinventing the MyUPMC digital experience, including the patient portal and mobile apps, to achieve these goals and to help patients to more easily manage care for themselves and their loved ones.
Our Product Managers bridge cross-functional disciplines, balancing business, technical and design constraints to bring products to market that will define the future of health care. Product Managers must feel comfortable working in a dynamic, sometimes ambiguous environments. They must leverage deep commercial expertise and critical thinking skills to distill the complexity inherent to health care's most confounding problems. They must also thoughtfully translate problems into solutions, that can take shape as actionable plans that can be released into the hands of consumers. Product Managers move quickly and with confidence, always building with an eye on the future. They must inspire teams to nurture creativity, and marry risk with reward, recognizing that they will be held accountable for the analysis, positioning, packaging and promotion of their product.
The Senior Product Manager, as part of the MyUPMC product execution team, is renowned for their skills. They have expert-level skills when it comes to running a software product development lifecycle with everything from the discovery through release and support phases. The Senior Product Manager should adeptly manage technical constraints, business value and consumer needs to define their good, better and best options for the path forward. The Senior Product Manager should have the ability to be able to manage near-term value and long-term impact: always having a plan for the future but flexible as conditions change. The Senior Product Manager has an eye for optimization along the way always looking for ways to increase speed using data-driven metrics to measure and quantify performance and quality at all stages of the execution process.
The Senior Product Manager is an influencer. Using their vast knowledge of product development and execution they are seen as a mentor and leader in the space and need to adapt and earn the trust of multiple seasoned engineering teams and their product management colleagues. The Senior Product Manager is driven by data and deep understanding of their problem space, but able to drive decision-making in imperfect conditions.
Other Product Managers working directly with individual Agile Feature Teams will report to the Senior Product Manager role. The Senior Product Manager plays part mentor/teacher and part manager coordinating and keeping the product roadmap on track while working with the other Product Managers on risk mitigation, dependency chaining and orchestrating the release trains of multiple, independent Agile Feature Teams. Senior Product Manager role provides product management leadership to the wider engineering management team for the program and reports up to the Director of Engineering.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Advanced degree, MBA, MS or PhD preferred
• 7+ years professional experience, direct management experience of product management team
• Demonstrates fluency with Agile/Lean and Scaled Agile frameworks, ideally including SAFe and LeSS
• Extensive experience in Agile’s Product Ownership role including backlog management and ownership of the translation of product features and value to a Scrum team.
• Flexibility mindset and “just want to get it done” attitude
• Proven success in measuring the value added to a product line with data driven metrics
• Track record of balancing technical, business, operational, consumer constraints
• Digital healthcare experience is a plus
• Culture champion lead by example and mentorship
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven ability to lead and mentor based on extensive time in the field
• Commercial software expertise, developing web and mobile products
• Understanding of health care IT industry
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong technical abilities
• Shows working knowledge across multiple functional areas such as product management, engineering, design, and market research – but also exhibits depth in a relevant discipline. E.g., T-shaped individuals
• Jointly create and form current Agile trends
• Discuss Agile trends with team and customers to justify benefits of process techniques
• Ability to measure a software development process and find optimizations
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran