This is a leadership position within the data engineering group and will provide input into the design and implementation of UPMC Enterprises systems through the analysis and documenting of Clinical, Financial and other systems data. The Data Engineering professional will analyze and assess the data needs of projects and recommend the appropriate data and sources to fill those needs. Other duties include documentation, mapping, modeling of these proposals. Additionally, the data engineer can be put into service to get representative data samples or even to participate in the design and development of new fetch mechanisms (such as Mirth) as the project requires. Finally, this position will have numerous external interfaces, to the development team as an SME, to Executive Management on escalation and status, to the operational owners of the data for research purposes. This position must be able to lead a small team to work with a possibly multiple project to prioritize work and is a position of mentorship for junior levels.
- Accept and sign off on Junior members work if required.
- As a project needs access to data to solve an issue, the data engineer will be responsible to plan and execute the necessary steps to propose a solution to get the appropriate data.
- Lead a team on the research and implementation on a larger project, which will consist of multiple data models, maps and workflows. Be the contact for the team and participate in the prioritization and execution of the work.
- Work with Engineering on best implementation and use of the data to solve a business problem.
- Work independently on user stories, can own and work on story grooming and execution when needed.
- Own an area of expertise within the common healthcare systems. Act as an SME within the team and the go-to person with questions in area of expertise.
- Participation in the Data Engineering group Kanban process, with appropriate attention paid to grooming, prioritization, definition of ready, definition of done.
- As this position feeds the scrum process for the engineering teams, delivery of the work in a timely manner and at a high quality is paramount. Estimation of work effort and drive to complete on time is necessary.
- Assist in the education and mentoring of new members of the team, primarily in process and procedure.
- Ability to work cooperatively and constructively with many other teams and roles. Be a problem solver.
- Act as a data SME for common healthcare systems. Understand the data, its usage and meaning
- This position is ultimately responsible to address the organization's need for accurate, timely and thoughtful data analysis work using the resources within the organization.
- Own the KPI for the team being led and look at ways to increase efficiencies and quality.
- Participate in implementation as needed. Can be as an advisor, or in some cases SQL or engineering work may be required (Mirth).
- Act as a representative of the team with stakeholder groups. Facilitate interactions for items such as grooming, prioritization, acceptance with key members of the stakeholder group.
- Work with management on strategic decisions around workflow and process. Look for areas where team can increase throughput without sacrificing quality.
- The data engineer is responsible document the data and sources in a way that can be executed on by an engineering group.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or healthcare related field and 7+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Must have knowledge of regulatory requirements, and healthcare domain experience. Relational data base design and development. SQL programming fundamentals. Knowledge of Health Care Finance and Operations is desirable. Prior expertise with EPIC, CERNER, Imaging or healthcare financial data. Prior Informatics work a plus. Prior team leadership and supervision a plus.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran