BlueSphere Bio (formally known as TCXpress) is an immunotherapy startup that is the first translational science spinout from UPMC Enterprises. BlueSphere Bio raised a Series A round of $10M in the 4Q of 2018.
We are seeking an exceptionally talented and highly motivated Scientist I/II with Immunology or Cell Biology background to join our group for the development of T cell therapies for oncology, using our TCXpress platform technology. The primarily role for this position is the development of an effective pathway for the expression of engineered T cell receptors in autologous or allogeneic primary human T cells. The ideal candidate will have substantial Immunology/Cell Biology background, with a proven record of advancing projects and developing or implementing new technologies. Both leadership and hands-on responsibilities are associated with this role, as well as interaction with development and basic research functions. The position requires excellent communication skills and ability to lead collaborations with external cross-functional teams. Candidate could also serve as a project leader for the preclinical development of therapeutic targets based on qualifications and experience.Responsibilities:
- Develop data packages and reports for regulatory submissions.
- Establish methodologies for quality assurance using T cell functional assays.
- Generate IP, publish and present in conferences.
- Lead external collaborations with academic and contract research organizations for virus production.
- Lead, train and mentor junior staff.
- Propose, validate and lead adoptive T cell therapies for new therapeutic targets.
- Provide expertise and guidance on T cell immunology including isolation and expansion of autologous and cryopreserved allogeneic primary T cell populations.
- Responsible for establishing an efficient T cell receptor expression platform in primary T cells by developing methodologies and new lenti/retrovirus vector constructs.
- PhD. in Immunology, Cell Biology, or Bioengineering with strong background in Immunology and at least 2-5 years of Post-Doctoral experience in either academic or industrial setting.
- Experience in T cell isolation from leukopacks or PBMCs and culturing conditions and methodologies for in vitro expansion of primary T cell populations.
- Hands on experience with Lentivirus/ Retrovirus preparations, titration methods, and T cell transduction methods and conditions.
- Demonstrated experience in Molecular Biology, basic cloning techniques; sound knowledge of viral vector expression systems, integration site analysis, copy number determination, and quantitative or dd PCR analysis.
- Proficient in immunological phenotyping and functional assay characterization of transduced primary T cells, including surface expression, signaling, cell based killing assays, cytokine secretion, proliferation and exhaustion.
- Experience with multi-color flow cytometry and analysis.
- Experience with automation and liquid handling instrumentation will be highly considered.
- Previous managerial and project leadership experience of cross-functional teams is desirable.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills are required.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities