The Business Operations Director is responsible for leading the day-to-day business development efforts and commercial operations of the UPMC Genome Center's (UGC) high-throughput sequencing facility. He or she will, proactively source new business, ensure that incoming opportunities fit into the overall strategic vision of the UGC and work to appropriately triage and optimize commercial projects as part of the UGC laboratory work flow. He or she will also be responsible for ensuring that projects are resourced properly, working closely with the Director of the UGC to support the commercial and research mission of UPMC and the UGC. The successful candidate will act as a partner and business operations advisor to the Director of the UGC and will play a key role in the overall commercial success of the UGC.Responsibilities:
- Attract, retain, and inspire a strong team through training, regular feedback, mentorship and development.
- Drive financial planning for the UGC in coordination with the Director of the UGC, business analysts, and other financial resources. Lead annual budget development, including forecasting business revenues. Establishes short-, medium- and long-term planning objectives to support strategic organizational goals. Work closely with UGC financial resources to monitor both revenues and spending.
- Manage business operations team for the UGC, including managing relationships with key operational partners within the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC (e.g., finance functions).
- Provide business expertise, as well as operational and financial reporting during UGC Executive Committee meetings. Work closely with the Director of the UGC and other resources to develop appropriate presentations and forecasts.
- Provide strategic direction and business development leadership for the UGC. Engage with UGC customers and potential clients to identify business opportunities and specific services they require. Develop a strategic plan and commercial road map to target both the academic and pharma/biopharma communities to build successful and sustainable revenue-driven partnerships. Direct and conduct market research to define the competitive landscape and identify potential development areas for clinical and research sequencing service offerings to keep the UGC on the forefront of genomic sequencing capabilities and expanding its commercial reach. Regularly meet with internal translational science and clinical stakeholders. Participate in operational planning and development with Director of the UGC to shape the strategic vision of the UGC to align with sequencing market developments and customer needs.
- Support key business partnerships and commercial service projects with academic, non-profit, and industry customers. Develop a deep knowledge and understanding of the UGC capacity, operations, and product pipeline to properly position its capabilities with customer needs. Work closely with other business operation team members during the initiation, negotiation, and financial and operational evaluation of all business proposals. Make the final recommendation on all business proposals. Recommend the allocation of appropriate resources, including personnel and facilities, in a cost-efficient and project driven manner. Provide technical expertise and support for project requests, consulting with the Director of the UGC to provide in-depth knowledge. Interface with clients to establish strong relationships and provide visibility on project progress and milestones.
- Support the growth of a pipeline of both commercial and academic partnerships and projects. Develop a targeted marketing strategy with input from UGC director, UPMC Enterprise and corporate marketing teams. Manage the preparation and maintenance of business development presentations, marketing materials, and other deliverables for academic and commercial partnerships. Represent the UGC at client meetings, external meetings, and conferences.
- MBA degree or equivalent MS or PhD highly desirable
- 10+ years of experience in the life sciences/biotechnology field, ideally with at least 5 years of experience in the genomics field focused on health products or molecular diagnostics
- Advanced understanding of the concepts and hands-on experience with genomics technologies, specifically next-generation sequencing (NGS) and microarrays.
- Experience with multiple technologies is highly desired
- 2+ years experienced in a CAP/CLIA certified testing environment is highly desired
- Highly motivated, curious individual with the proven ability to think innovatively and to solve problems in a fast-paced research or product development environment
- Flexible and open to new opportunities and changing priorities
- Proven track record of leading commercial development efforts for academic or commercial lab
- Long-standing relationships and credibility with the translational research or clinical genomics community
- Openness to travel up to 20% of the time as needed
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities