BlueSphere Bio (formally known as TCXpress) is an immunotherapy startup that is the first translational science spinout from UPMC Enterprises. BlueSphere Bio raised a Series A round of $10M in the 4Q of 2018 (https://iqmediacorp.com/lnarticle?id=38209692761
This is an exciting opportunity for a Research Associate/Biology to join our group for the development of novel therapeutics in the field of Cancer Immunotherapy. The incumbent will work on the development of a series of in vitro and ex vivo functional assays for the characterization of neoantigen specific T cell receptors, utilizing a range of Molecular Biology and Cell Culture techniques. She/he would be responsible for assay development, miniaturization and implementation to high throughput functional screening assays. The Research Associate will join a team performing diverse functions, assisting both in the preclinical advancement of TCR leads and product characterization in early clinical development.Responsibilities:
- Characterize cells using multi-parameter Flow Cytometry and Data Analysis.
- Clone proteins into mammalian expression vectors including retrovirus and lentivirus vectors.
- Maintain accurate sample and laboratory records, including human tissue bio-banking.
- Optimize and help develop conditions for optimal gene delivery.
- Organize and conduct assigned studies, independently, following and adhering to current experimental protocols.
- Participate in the development and standardization of cellular based assays in high throughput format using liquid handlers and automated culturing instruments.
- Perform cell based and ex-vivo functional assays.
- Present regularly to management and team meetings.
- Transfect, establish and characterize new cell lines.
- Using appropriate cell lines and primary cells help develop secondary and tertiary screening assays such as cytokine secretion, killing and proliferation assays to validate and differentiate between candidate T cell receptor constructs.
- Work closely with our clinical team to advance and validate lead TCR candidates.
- Masters degree (MS) in Immunology, Oncology, or Cell Biology or equivalent experience preferred, Bachelor of Science (BS) degree required.
- At least 3 years of working experience preferred.
- Experience in Biotech/ Pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Demonstrated work in Molecular Biology including RT-PCR, qPCR, cloning, and gene manipulation, including bioinformatic analysis.
- Hands-on experience with multi-parameter Flow Cytometry and data analysis is highly preferred.
- Experience in cell culturing techniques, preferentially with primary and T cell lines, including expansion, activation, and enrichment of primary T cells.
- Demonstrated experience with standard immunology assays such as ELISAs, ELISPOTs, cytokine secretion, cytotoxicity, and proliferation assays.
- Hands-on experience with transductions and transfection instrumentation is desirable.
- Experience with automation and robotic instrumentation is an advantage.
- Previous experience in Laboratory Information Management Systems preferred.
- Proficiency with analytical software, e.g. PRISM, FlowJo, Excel.
- Efficiency and organization, with ability to adhere to timelines and milestones.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills are highly important.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities