Sorry, we’re not accepting applications for this job right now. But don’t go yet! Explore our site
to find more opportunities to join us in transforming the future of health care.
The Chief Executive Officer is a critical hire for BlueSphere Bio, as this individual will set the strategic and operational direction for the company and be accountable for its success. The new CEO will lead corporate decision making on all fronts. BlueSphere Bio seeks a visionary and entrepreneurial leader with demonstrated strategic and execution capabilities from the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry. The successful candidate must have significant senior leadership experience in a rapidly growing, fast changing enterprise. The incoming CEO must have a thorough understanding of pharmaceutical product discovery and development, along with a strong track record in leading highly productive teams in the challenges listed above. Ideally, the successful candidate will have a proven ability to drive the successful research, development and partnering of novel therapeutics. By nature, s/he will be a competitive individual who excels within a complex, challenging business environment. Additionally, the incoming CEO must be able to quickly identify the path to corporate value creation and be able to lead the management team in the accomplishment of goals and objectives that achieve this endpoint. The outstanding individual we seek will be a self-starter, business-minded and a big picture thinker. S/he will be the kind of person who wants to make their mark crafting and honing a plan and seeing it through to take the company to the highest possible level.
- A personal leadership style that inspires trust, confidence and collaboration is essential.
- Because of the novel nature of the company, there will be 'never seen before' challenges at many stages.
- Primary responsibilities include defining the strategy and ensuring the execution of research and development programs toward key value inflection points, fund raising, investor management, growth and value-creation, and evaluation of potential partnership opportunities.
- S/he will work closely with the scientific co-founders to decide the best path forward as BlueSphere Bio grows, leveraging the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC where possible and appropriate.
- The Chief Executive Officer will be instrumental in recruiting, retaining and building strong management talent.
- The exceptional individual that we seek will have the maturity, expertise, sophistication and strategic ability to provide great impact as the company takes on these challenges.
- The successful candidate will serve as the company's principal spokesperson to all external stakeholders.
- Highly accomplished and credible scientific background.
- Previous experience in immuno-oncology and cell therapy desirable.
- Ability to quickly develop rapport and peer-to-peer relationships with scientific founders, investors and leaders in the scientific community.
- Minimum of ten years experience in pharmaceutical/biotech industry with a track record of success in biotech startup driven by on target execution.
- A PhD or MD degree is strongly preferred.
- Ability and willingness to be creative in thinking and business building.
- Proven ability to lead in a startup environment with experience in successful fund raising.
- Exposure to immunology, ideally with experience in diverse areas across cell therapy.
- Experience advancing products through pre-clinical testing into early stage clinical testing, ideally all the way through to late-stage clinical trials and approval.
- Proven ability to attract, build and lead a team.
- Ability to work effectively with investor dominated board of directors.
- High level of sophistication and depth around commercial issues including partnering and business development.
- Dynamic leadership style that includes a sense of urgency, as well as flexibility and ability to respond to rapidly changing environments and circumstances. Extremely bright with a highly strategic, creative and resourceful nature.
- Hands-on, can do entrepreneurial style and ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and do the work.
- Strong interpersonal skills with polish and presence; ability to influence others at all levels internally and externally.
- Outstanding communication skills; comfortable representing the company in highly diverse settings.
- Decisive, proactive and organized with ability to prioritize.
- Open-minded and risk-tolerant; humble and not afraid to push and be pushed back.
- Trustworthy with highest integrity, committed to ethics and scientific standards.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities