DescriptionThe ITTC Director of Business Development will use her/his considerable industry experience and network to lead business development and alliance management efforts supporting the broader ITTC strategy. He/she will work in close collaboration with ITTC leadership, the business analytics team, the ITTC DASH leadership team, principal investigators and portfolio companies to identify and address business development and alliance needs. As a senior member of the ITTC team he/she will have an important role to play in setting broader ITTC strategic goals.
· Leads ITTC business development (BD) and alliance management activities day-to-day.
· Collaborates effectively with ITTC leadership to translate ITTC's overall strategy into highly aligned in- and out-bound BD activities and alliance management efforts.
· Actively participates in ITTC-wide efforts to evaluate and provide insight into relevant market trends (existing and new markets, products, and technologies) to ensure proper education of senior leadership on external landscape and opportunities.
· Works systematically with ITTC leadership, UPMC/Pitt and their various scientific and clinical departments, as well as ITTC portfolio companies to identify and manage partnering opportunities to achieve ITTC's strategic goals:
a. Discovery, development and commercial partnerships to advance ITTC product opportunities
b. Technology licensing and collaborations to access critical skills and capabilities
c. Broader strategic collaborations with industry and academic partners to advance ITTC's overarching goals in translational science
· Leads related deal and partnership negotiations, drawing as appropriate on relevant functional expertise (scientific, medical, commercial, financial, legal, regulatory, etc.) at ITTC and UPMC Enterprises
a. Supported by the business analytics teams conducts high quality market research and financial analysis to build a strong business case supporting relevant partnering and licensing recommendations
b. Establishes collaborative and effective relationships with key corporate functions to ensure a free flow of information and ideas. Be collaborative, but challenge and test as required.
· Builds a relevant network of business contacts (academic, industry, investors, etc.) and maintains a partnering database using state of the art CRM technology
· Leverages prior BD experience to establish a comprehensive reference dataset of relevant partnering and deal terms and monitors industry trends to keep this resource up-to-date
· As part of this role, the Director of Business Development will work closely with DASH leadership to support partnering efforts critical to achieving DASH's long term scientific and strategic goal of building a powerful research database for systematic discovery of proprietary therapeutic and diagnostic IP:
a. Relevant discovery and development partnerships with biopharma, diagnostic and MedTech companies
b. Technology partnerships to help accelerate discovery efforts via access to cutting edge assay and data analytics technologies
c. As needed, relevant clinical and research collaborations with other provider and payer organizations to expand access to patient samples and data
d. In the medium- to long-term we expect the focus of this effort to shift towards appropriate commercial partnerships that help to capture and maximize value of novel ITTC IP developed through DASH
· Performs all above in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors
· 10+ years of relevant professional experience in the life science or healthcare industry
· Excellent technical credentials, such as M.D., Ph.D. or a Masters in science; an M.B.A. would be beneficial, but not required
· The ideal candidate has relevant scientific and/or business experience exploring problems in any or all the following areas:
a. Cancer immunotherapy
b. T-Cell biology
d. Autoimmune and inflammation
e. Aging and chronic diseases
· We are looking for experience in a variety of BD, technology assessment, licensing, sourcing and/or R&D roles of progressively greater scope and responsibility is required
a. Proven analytical and deal-structuring skills.
b. Substantial scientific deal assessment experience across a diverse array of therapeutic areas, technology platforms and transaction types
c. The ideal candidate has played a key role leading and supporting numerous early-stage transactions, and has a track record of completing high value transactions.
d. Experience working collaboratively, cross-functionally and globally with research, corporate development, finance, commercial, legal and regulatory teams.
e. In-depth knowledge of the bio-pharmaceutical industry, both large and small companies, is critical for success. This includes a working knowledge of science, clinical practices, market dynamics, competitive products, partnering strategies etc., in domestic and international markets.
· Broad network of industry contacts, maintaining relationships with current and potential external business partners, academic institutions, investment bankers, venture capitalists, and industry executives.
· The successful candidate should have the demonstrated ability to independently tackle complex scientific and business problems
· We are looking for candidates with a successful track record of working in and managing small cross-functional teams, having demonstrated the capacity to effectively manage upward and downward to achieve critical project goals
· The ideal candidate is a self-starter, highly motivated and willing to go the extra mile to support the vision of enabling Life Changing Medicine
· Excellent written and oral communication skills required
· Flexibility for travel as needed