The Senior Business Analyst at UPMC Enterprises will be a key member of the growing Immune Transplant and Therapy Center (ITTC) team.
The ITTC brings together the brightest scientific and business minds in immunotherapy to collaborate, share ideas, and drive the development of novel groundbreaking therapies in the areas of organ transplantation, cancer, aging, and chronic disease.
The analyst will work closely with ITTC leadership on evolving and implementing ITTC’s internal and external investment strategy to deliver Life Changing Medicine.
Analyst at UPMC Enterprises use their keen, pragmatic skills to assess specific scientific innovations, broader life science industry trends and emerging commercial product and businesses opportunities. They are responsible for the assessment of investment opportunities and play a critical role in driving investment activities inside UPMC/Pitt and beyond, ranging from de novo start-up formation, clinical and commercial roadmap development to due diligence, deal execution and portfolio management.
Roles and responsibilities
- Supports ITTC leadership in implementing ITTC’s scientific and investment strategy
- Provides domain-relevant thought leadership and critical business thinking
- Proactively contributes to systematic monitoring of the broader life science industry landscape for transformational ITTC-relevant investment and partnering opportunities (both internal and external)
- Conducts independent primary/secondary market research and financial analysis in support of staged assessments of ITTC Pipeline opportunities
a. Early assessment and triage of potential investment opportunities for strategic fit and commercial attractiveness
b. Detailed scientific, commercial, financial, regulatory and legal due diligence of priority opportunities
c. Financial forecasting, valuation and transaction support
- Contributes to the development of investment cases and detailed business plans for priority opportunities and drafts associated Pipeline documents
- As needed, engages key internal ITTC stakeholders at UPMC Enterprises, UPMC and Pitt for input
- Conducts continued market and business intelligence to understand market forces, size of opportunity, addressable market, profit drivers, differentiators needed to create winning solutions
- Tracks project status and manages ITTC Pipeline documentation
- Demonstrates flexibility to support ad hoc company and industry analyses and quarterly/annual performance reporting
- Proactively looks for ways to evolve ITTC’s business processes and models of collaboration in order to increase team effectiveness
- Performs all above in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors
Experience and qualifications:
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience in the life science or healthcare industry
- BA and/or MA in a scientific discipline (preferably in immunology, physiology, pharmacology, biomedical engineering, molecular biology) is a bonus
- Demonstrated ability to tackle complex life science business problems
- Broad business analysis toolkit honed in relevant life science or healthcare industry roles, e.g., commercial or product planning, business development, investing, etc.
a. Scientific and technical assessment of business opportunities
b. Commercial assessment of business opportunities
i. Primary and secondary market research
ii. Competitive landscape assessments
iii. Market or product-level revenue forecasting or assessment of commercial opportunities
c. Financial valuation and high level operational modeling
- The ideal candidate has relevant scientific and/or business experience exploring problems in any or all the following areas, or demonstrated ability to quickly learn:
a. Cancer immunotherapy
b. T-Cell biology
d. Autoimmune and inflammation
e. Aging and chronic diseases
- We are looking for candidates with a successful track record of self-management, effective contribution to small cross-functional teams and achievement of critical project goals
- The successful candidate should be a self-starter, highly motivated and willing to go the extra mile to support the vision of enabling Life Changing Medicine
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
- Flexibility for limited travel as needed
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities