Sorry, we’re not accepting applications for this job right now. But don’t go yet! Explore our site
to find more opportunities to join us in transforming the future of health care.
At UPMC Enterprises, we help create health care innovations that will impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways. We build companies by partnering with existing health care technology companies to accelerate their growth (acceleration) or by developing new products (de novo). Central to these company-building activities is the role of the Senior Product Manager.
Our Product Managers bridge cross-functional disciplines, balancing business, technical and design constraints to bring products to market that will define the future of health care. Product Managers must feel comfortable working in a dynamic, sometimes ambiguous environments. They must leverage deep commercial expertise and critical thinking skills to distill the complexity inherent to health care's most confounding problems. They must also thoughtfully translate problems into solutions, that can take shape as disruptive businesses and ultimately, actionable product roadmaps. Product Managers move quickly and with confidence, always with an eye on the future. They must inspire teams to nurture creativity, and marry risk with reward, recognizing that they will be held accountable for the analysis, positioning, packaging and promotion of new companies. Given the dynamic nature of the work at UPMC Enterprises, responsibilities of an individual Product Manager may not fall squarely within de novo or acceleration roles and may intertwine and fluctuate between these areas.
- Acceleration Takes a leading role for multiple products at UPMC Enterprises Owns the roadmap and strategy that maximizes alignment of company vision and market opportunities Define preferred investment and/or product development approach to guide sourcing of pipeline opportunities Works with Dir of Product Management to continually refresh and update the overall domain portfolio strategy, with support from business analysts Provides portfolio company support, analysis, and community building Assesses competitive landscape for partnership opportunities and market gaps Manages, advises and mentors business analysts and other team members as needed to drive development, opportunity evaluation and portfolio performance tracking Directs and refines team output as needed for presentation to team and leadership Supports talent recruitment and staff professional development Directly manages analysts and designers Assesses the market and reviews industry trends Screens and vets internal/external investment opportunities for relevance Assesses business and investment opportunities against established evaluation criteria e.g. likelihood of commercial success, true potential market, competition, synergies with UPMC and UPMCE, and portfolio platform potential
- Common Responsibilities (across all) Works with interdisciplinary teams and across functional departments, including engineering, design, marketing and finance teams to carry out strategic plan for assigned product(s) or domain(s) Produces deliverables that tell concise business stories using data-driven, evidence-based, and human-centered arguments Builds buy-in for the product or company from both external and internal stakeholders Serves as point-person between stakeholders and organizations, and liaison between Enterprises and external entities Engages with Subject Matter Experts for in-depth evaluation (clinical, scientific, business, design, etc.) Maintains opportunity management process and web-based CRM documentation platform Presents investment and product development recommendations to executive leadership Communicates activities, statuses, issues, and accomplishments to management and partners as needed
- De Novo May independently work on multiple products at one time Evaluates competitive landscape and marketplace to understand impact and potential of products Acts as the voice of the customer by evaluating product success based on customer adoption, engagement, and satisfaction Breaks down complex problems to make the best decision for customers Identifies, develops and manages a strategic plan for assigned product(s) based on business vision Accountable for successful product creation and execution for assigned products Drives activities of cross-functional team including product planning and creation of strategic plan for assigned products Knowledgeable across multiple functional areas such as product management, engineering, design, and market research Ensures successful and timely execution of this roadmap working in concert with the Engineering organization Leads the definition, design and construction of products that delight consumers and compel them to engage despite an abundance of alternatives and distractions Guides products through complete product roadmap from concept to launch Looks for innovative product solutions and opportunities based on strong marketplace data analysis Drives dialogue with engineering teams and program management from multiple products to deliver integrated services
Bachelors Degree Advanced degree, MBA, MS or PhD preferred 7+ years professional experience, direct management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates fluency with agile/lean methods
- Commercial software expertise, developing web products and technologies
- Understanding of health care IT industry
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong technical abilities
- Shows working knowledge across multiple functional areas such as product management, engineering, design, and market research but also exhibits depth in a relevant discipline. E.g., T-shaped individuals
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities